This course is unique in that it is taught online in a social network and doesn’t use the traditional course management system, Blackboard. The course also utilizes the online companion website provided by our textbook publisher, Connect Composition from McGraw-Hill. The use of these technologies allows for the course to be taught entirely online, but still allows for building of community within the class. To enhance the online community, often this online course is taught in conjunction with a hybrid version of the course. Students from both courses work together in the same online environment.
To learn more about the course, watch the orientation video below.
List of Things to Do to Get Started
- Fill out the Student Information Form. Your information is private and will only be seen by me.
- Check your Maricopa.edu email account for your log-in information for the ENG101 class site: http://eng101online.com. We will not be using Blackboard. Use your MEID and password to log in to your official school email account.
- If you don’t know your MEID, visit https://eims.maricopa.edu/MAW/SPAT.html and choose the option: Forgot Your MEID? If it’s not your first visit, and you know your MEID but you’ve simply forgotten your password, you can look up your password if you have forgotten it, by choosing: Forgot Your Password?
- After you’ve logged in to the course network, update your profile, change your password, and add a picture. See the screencast below for help doing that.
- Then click the Discussion tab above and introduce yourself to the class in the Discussion #1: Class Introductions.
- Go to the bookstore and purchase the required textbook: The McGraw-Hill Guide. Your book should come with an access card (registration code) for Connect Composition Plus+. GCC Bookstore link. If you buy the book elsewhere, you may not end up with the correct access card that you need for the online portion of the text, and end up paying more in the long run.
- Go to http://www.mhconnectenglish.com and click the First Time Registration link. Choose the “I am using Connect English for the first time” option. Use your access code you got with your textbook to register. (Connect Composition Registration Handout)
- After you’ve registered, join Dr. Cooper’s ENG101 section in Connect Composition using the section code: ENG101Cooper17312 (Connect Composition Registration Handout)
- Complete the 3-Part Course Orientation in below. First, watch the Orientation video and write down the 3 keywords given in the video.
- Second, read the Course Syllabus. Take notes for the quiz.
- Next, watch the screencast: How to Do Well in This Course. It is posted below. Write down all the tips provided in the screencast.
- Take the Orientation Quiz. You will be asked all the information you learned while doing this assignment-scavenger hunt. Use your notes. If you don’t score 80% or better. Take it again until you do.
That’s it. Once you’ve completed all the tasks, you will be notified by Dr. Cooper. You’ll also be ready to start the hybrid course. Good luck.
Do you need to talk to me? Call me. Put your information in the box below. Your phone will ring first, and then you’ll be connected to my phone. It’s cool. Try it.