This course is unique in that it is taught online in a social network and textbook publisher companion site, and doesn’t uses the traditional course management system, Blackboard. The use of these technologies allows for the course to be taught entirely online, but still allows for building of community within the class. To enhance the online community, this online course is also taught in conjunction with two hybrid courses. Students from the three courses work together in the same online environment.
To learn more about the course, watch the orientation video below.
List of Things to Do to Get Started
1. Fill out the Student Information Form and submit online.
2. Check your Maricopa.edu email account for your log-in information for the ENG102 class site: http://eng102online.com. We will not be using Blackboard.
3. Go to the bookstore and purchase the required textbook: The McGraw-Hill Guide. Your book should come with an access card (registration code) for Connect Composition Plus+. GCC Bookstore link. If you buy the book elsewhere, you may not end up with the correct access card that you need for the online portion of the text, and end up paying more in the long run.
4. Go to http://www.mhconnectenglish.com and click the First Time Registration link. Choose the “I am using Connect English for the first time” option. Use your access code you got with your textbook to register. (Connect Composition Registration Handout)
5. After you’ve registered, join Dr. Cooper’s ENG102 section in Connect Composition using the section code: ENG102Cooper17424 (Connect Composition Registration Handout)
6. If you already know your eGCC account information, you’re set. If not, please visit the eGCC Account Information page to learn how to find out your username and password. You will need this information to be able to access the school library and the classroom computers for this class.
7. Introduce yourself in the discussion forum: Orientation: Class Introductions.
8. Complete the Course Orientation in the START HERE tab, which includes reading the syllabus, watching the Course Orientation: Video Introduction (Part 1), ENG102 Overview: The Process (Part 2), and the WordPress – Course Network Overview (Part 3).
9. Once you are finished with the orientation, send Dr. Cooper an email stating you have completed all the items on this list. Title your email: Orientation Completed and send it to: dr.coop @ freshmancomp .com. Once I receive your email, I will send you instructions on how to complete the Orientation Quiz.
10. Lastly, take the Course Orientation Quiz. You will receive instructions on how to do this after you have successful sent an email to Dr. Cooper.
You MUST complete this orientation by Wednesday at 11:59pm or you will be dropped as a no show for this class.
Do you need to talk to me? Call me. Put your information in the box below. Your phone will ring first, and then you’ll be connected to my phone. It’s cool. Try it.